Want to learn how to save money and find lower-priced Toyota Prius insurance in Reno? Are you at wits end from sacrificing other expenses each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than most other vehicle owners in Nevada.
Shockingly, the vast majority of car insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and just under half have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. Reno insurance shoppers could pocket about $500 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't know how much they could save if they switched to a cheaper policy. There are many insurers to buy insurance from, and although it's nice to have a choice, so many choices can make it hard to compare rates and find the lowest cost car insurance.
It is always a good idea to take a look at other company's rates quite often because prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the best deal on Toyota Prius insurance in Reno six months ago there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the best methods to save on car insurance.
Cutting your Reno car insurance rates is not a difficult process. The only requirement is to spend a little time to compare rate quotes to discover which company has low cost Reno car insurance quotes.
Comparing rates online is fast and free, and it takes the place of having to spend time driving to and from local Reno insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you're the type of person who wants the advice and guidance of a local Reno agent. Drivers can find lower rates online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Nevada. If multiple companies are listed, it's highly recommended you visit as many as you can in order to find the most competitive rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Nevada minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in garaging location in Reno which can lower or raise auto insurance rates considerably.
Drive responsibly or pay higher rates
The illustration below illustrates how traffic citations and fender-benders can drive up Toyota Prius auto insurance costs for different age categories. The premiums are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Auto insurance in Nevada serves several purposes
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Toyota in Reno, buying auto insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Nevada these limits are 15/30/10 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Prius, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Toyota for a lot more money and require you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Toyota Prius but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $865 each year so compare rate quotes every year to save money.
Get cheaper rates on Toyota Prius insurance in Reno with these car insurance discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you may qualify for discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Most are applied when you purchase, but a few must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Federal government employees may reduce rates when you quote Reno car insurance but check with your company.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Sign Early and Save - Some companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Prius insurance policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Save over 55 - Mature drivers may be able to get a small discount on rates.
- Anti-theft System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Life Insurance - Some insurance companies give a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Telematics Data - Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks with the same car insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Professional Memberships - Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Reno could qualify you for a break on your next renewal.
- Low Miles Discount - Keeping the miles down on your Toyota can earn better prices on cars that stay parked.
Policy discounts save money, but some credits don't apply to the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Just because it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, it just doesn't work that way. But any discount will help lower your premiums.
Companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple autos, student away at school, multiple policy, safe vehicle, and accident-free.
- GEICO may have discounts that include multi-policy, membership and employees, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, and multi-vehicle.
- SAFECO has discounts for anti-theft, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, multi-car, accident prevention training, and teen safety rewards.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for business and professional, youthful driver, alternative fuel, good student, electronic funds transfer, distant student, and pay in full.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, good student, and multi-car.
- USAA offers discounts including safe driver, family discount, military installation, defensive driver, and new vehicle.
Double check with each company which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts may not be offered in your area. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that offer multiple discounts in Nevada, click this link.
When should I talk to a local insurance agent?
Some people would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Licensed agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheaper car insurance rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this short form, the quote information is sent to insurance agents in Reno that can provide free Reno car insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won't even need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent to you. In the event you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking a insurance company requires more thought than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Which family members are covered?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Reno for you
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a reliable insurance agent, it's important to understand the different agency structures and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents may be either independent or exclusive. Both types can write policy coverage, but it's good to learn how they differ because it may have an impact on the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type work for only one company like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are well trained on sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are Reno exclusive insurance agents who may provide you with rate quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are normally appointed by many insurers so they can write business with lots of companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, the business is moved internally and you can keep the same agent.
When shopping rates, we recommend you include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below are independent insurance agents in Reno that can give you comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance - Rielli Insurance and Financial Services, LLC
10399 Double R Blvd #107 - Reno, NV 89521 - (775) 502-8444 - View Map
A little work can save a LOT of money
When trying to cut insurance costs, don't be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agents. Budget-friendly insurance in Reno is possible from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Reno agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
Additional information is located below:
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How Much is Nevada Auto Insurance for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Fernley, Nevada? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for College Students in Nevada? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for State Employees in Nevada? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Welfare Recipients in Nevada? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima in Nevada? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Mesquite, Nevada? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Spring Creek, NV? (FAQ)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)