Auto Insurance in Las Vegas: Ten Ways to Save
Are you overwhelmed by the crazy number of auto insurance sources available to you? You're not alone. You have so many sources to choose from that it can turn into a real hassle to locate the lowest auto insurance rates.
Smart consumers take time to compare prices yearly because auto insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you found the best rates a couple years back there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the only way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
How to Compare Las Vegas Auto Insurance Rates
There are a variety of methods to shop for auto insurance, but some are easier and takes less work. You can spend countless hours talking about coverages with local insurance agents in Las Vegas, or you can utilize the internet to get the quickest rates.
Many popular insurance companies belong to an insurance system that enables customers to complete one form, and every company then gives them pricing based on the submitted data. This saves time by eliminating repetitive form submissions to each company.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click here to open in new window.
The only downside to using this type of form is that you can't choose which providers you want pricing from. If you wish to select specific providers to compare prices, we have assembled a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Nevada. Click here to view list.
Whichever way you choose to compare rates, ensure you are comparing identical quote information on every quote. If you enter different coverage information you will not be able to make a fair comparison in Las Vegas.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may find discounts to help offset the cost. Certain credits will be shown when you complete an application, but a few must be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Claim Free - Claim-free drivers pay less as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Driver Training Discounts - Passing a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Theft Deterent Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Having several vehicles on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Driver's Education for Students - Require your teen driver to enroll in driver's education in high school.
- Good Students Pay Less - Getting good grades may save as much as 25%. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn't quite work that way.
If you would like to view insurance companies who offer discounts in Nevada, click here.
Your auto insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone's situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions may help you determine if you could use an agent's help.
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
If it's difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It's fast, free and may give you better protection.
Lower Las Vegas Auto Insurance Costs
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the factors that go into determining your policy premiums. When consumers understand what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower rates.
- Marriage discount - Getting married actually saves money compared to being single. Having a spouse usually means you are less irresponsible and statistics prove drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Liability coverage is important - Your auto insurance policy's liability coverage provides coverage in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for damages from an accident. It provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Poor credit history equals high premiums - Having a bad credit rating factor in determining your rates. Consumers who have very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit ratings. If your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by improving your rating.
- Rates increase with driving citations - Attentive drivers have lower premiums as compared to those with violations. Getting just one driving citation can increase the cost of insurance substantially. Drivers who have gotten multiple citations such as DUI or reckless driving may be required to complete a SR-22 with their state in order to keep their license.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped liability coverage limits only to find out that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
Drivers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, high prices, high rates after DUI convictions and even extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Cheap auto insurance can be purchased both online as well as from independent agents in Las Vegas, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies don't offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
To learn even more about auto insurance
Even more information can be read at the Nevada Division of Insurance website. Nevada consumers can file complaints about a company, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
The articles below may also help you learn more about auto insurance in Las Vegas