Carson City Auto Insurance Online - Affordable Quotes
Finding lower-priced rates for Carson City car insurance is always a challenge for drivers new to online comparison shopping. Drivers have so many companies to choose from that it can easily be a lot of work to find more affordable rates.
This information will let you in on how to effectively get price quotes and some money-saving tips. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to cut costs considerably using these tips. Nevada drivers only need to know the proper way to find the lowest price over the internet.
Eight Things that Affect your Rates
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at the rating factors that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you know what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find better car insurance rates. Lots of things are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, although others are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
The list below includes some of the factors that factor into your prices.
- Lower performance equals lower insurance rates - The type of car, truck or SUV you need to insure makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. The cheapest rates tend to be for lower cost passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- Your gender affects rates - The statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. This data doesn't prove that females are better at driving than males. They both have auto accidents at a similar rate, but males have accidents that have higher claims. Men also get ticketed for serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Claim-free discounts can add up - Insurance companies in Nevada award discounts to drivers who only file infrequent claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- High crash test ratings mean low rates - Vehicles with high crash test scores cost less to insure. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums. If your car or truck earned at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you are probably receiving a discount.
- Marriage brings a discount - Having a wife or husband may earn you lower rates when buying car insurance. Having a significant other generally demonstrates drivers are more mature than a single person and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Your liability limits - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the protection in the event that you are responsible for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It will provide legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Raising deductibles saves money - Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be collision with another vehicle, flood damage, and burglary. The deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Continuous coverage saves money - Having a lapse in insurance coverage will be a quick way to pay more for car insurance. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage could earn you a revoked license or a big fine. You will then be forced to file a SR-22 with the Nevada motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
There are several ways to compare car insurance prices but there is one way that is less time-consuming than others. You could waste a few hours talking to local insurance agents in Carson City, or you can stay home and use online quotes to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Most of the larger companies are enrolled in a marketplace where insurance shoppers complete one form, and each participating company then returns a price quote. This eliminates the need for quote forms for each company you want a rate for.
To find out what other companies charge click here to start a free quote.
The one downside to comparing rates this way is you don't know exactly the companies you want pricing from. So if you prefer to pick specific insurance companies to compare, we put together a list of car insurance companies in Nevada. View list of Nevada insurance companies.
It's up to you which method you use, but make absolute certain that you use the exact same coverage limits with each company. If you use different data you will not be able to truly determine the lowest rate in Carson City.
Is there truth in advertising?
Consumers in Nevada can't get away from ads for the lowest price auto insurance by GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all seem to make the same claim about savings if you switch your coverage to them.
How does each company claim to save you money?
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a profitable customer could possibly be a mature driver, has no prior claims, and has a high credit rating. Any new insured who matches those parameters will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Consumers who don't meet these standards must pay higher rates and ends up with business not being written. The ads say "people who switch" not "everybody who quotes" save that much. That is how insurance companies can state the savings.
Because of the profiling, you need to quote coverage with many companies. Because you never know the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Insurance companies offer discounts
Car insurance is expensive, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but some need to be specifically requested before being credited.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving less may enable drivers to earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Switch and Save Discount - Some larger companies provide a discount for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Save over 55 - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a slight reduction in premiums.
- Distant College Student Discount - Kids living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Auto/Life Discount - Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Multiple Cars - Purchasing coverage when you have more than one vehicle with the same car insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Homeowners Discount - Owning a house in Carson City can get you a discount because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
One last thing about discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it's just not the way it works.
Insurance companies that possibly offer most of these discounts include:
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no "perfect" insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Am I covered when driving someone else's vehicle?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Nevada?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Additional car insurance information can be read on the Nevada Division of Insurance website. Click here for link. Visitors are able to read industry bulletins, find a variety of consumer forms, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and file complaints about a company.
Other related articles:
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Shop For Carson City, NV Auto Insurance for Less Money With These Proven Methods
- How to Compare Car Insurance Rates From Carson City Insurance Agents
- Free Quotes for Cheaper Car Insurance Pricing From Agents in Carson City
Shop smart and save
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the most savings is with a small local company.
People switch companies for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, extreme rates for teen drivers, unfair underwriting practices and high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new car insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Discount car insurance is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Carson City insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.